Monday, September 12, 2011
Philippines - Mount Makiling
Mount Makiling, also rarely Mount Maquiling, is located in the province of Laguna on the island of Luzon, Philippines. It is an inactive volcano, which rises to 1,090 m above sea level.
Sent by Ruby, a WiP partner from the Philippines.
This is from Wikipedia : Mount Makiling, also rarely Mount Maquiling, is a potentially active volcano in Laguna province on the island of Luzon, Philippines. It rises to 1,090 m above mean sea level.
Legends surround the mountain, many of which relate to Maria Makiling, said to be the 'guardian fairy' of the mountain. The contour of the mountain is said to be that of her in a reclining position.
The University of the Philippines, Los Baños is designated as the official caretaker of the mountain.
* Makiling National Scout Reservation, a campsite at the foot of Mount Makiling adjacent to U.P. Los Baños, which is being managed by the Boy Scouts of the Philippines this is the site of the 10th World Scout Jamboree in 1959 and 26th Asia-Pacific Regional Jamboree in 2009 and 2010.
* Mud Springs, widely accepted albeit erroneously as the volcanic crater of Mount Makiling
* National Arts Center, a patch of land at the foot of Mount Makiling adjacent to U.P. Los Baños, which is being managed by the Cultural Center of the Philippines and the site of the Philippine High School for the Arts, a special school for young artist scholars
* Pook ni Maria Makiling, an eco-tourism site adjacent to the Jamboree Site, National Arts Center and U.P. Los Baños
* University of the Philippines, Los Baños