Thursday, March 22, 2012
Germany - Steinhude
Views of Steinhude.
Sent by Reni, a postcrosser from Hannover/Lower Saxony, Germany.
This is from Wikipedia : Steinhude is a village in the borough of Wunstorf in Hanover Region in the German state of Lower Saxony. It is a tourist resort on the southern shore of Lake Steinhude. Once a small, quiet fishing village, today Steinhude is well known as a recreation centre in the Steinhuder Meer Nature Park.
Steinhude lies on the southern shore of Lake Steinhude. To the east, the fishing village has grown and merged with its neighbouring village of Großenheidorn. To the south is the B 441 federal road and a small copse, the Hoheholz. Another landmark to the south is the 140m high potash heap near Bokeloh. Steinhude is linked to its western neighbour, Hagenburg, by a 1.5 km long lakeside promenade.
The shore of Lake Steinhude has been settled since early times. Steinhude itself was first mentioned in the records at the end of the 13th century as Stenhuthe. The small settlement lived by farming the land and fishing and, in the 17th century, became a market town. In 1641, during the Thirty Years War, the fishing village was almost totally destroyed. In the 18th century, linen weaving became the most important source of income. There was a chocolate factory in Steinhude as early as the mid-18th century, one of the first in Germany.
Administratively, Steinhude belonged to the Amt of Hagenburg and was ruled by the counts of Schaumburg. Following the division of that county in 1640, Steinhude became part of the county of Schaumburg-Lippe.
In the period 1761-1767 Count William I of Schaumburg-Lippe had the fort of Wilhelmstein built on an artificial island in the lake.
In the 20th century the small village begin to expand into a tourist resort. The influx of refugees after the Second World War, the increase in tourism and a modest upturn in the economy led to a significant growth in the size of the place.
After the Second World War in 1945 there were several major changes in the appearance of the village and surrounding landscape. Another artificial island, 35000 m² in area, the swimming island (Badeinsel) was built in 1975. Between Steinhude and Hagenburg an embankment was constructed and made into a lakeside promenade. Until 1964 the Steinhude Lake Railway (Steinhuder Meer-Bahn or StMB), a narrow gauge railway, ran from Wunstorf to Uchte, through Steinhude.
The Schaumburg municipality of Steinhude was incorporated into the borough of Wunstorf in the district of Hanover as part of the regional reform of 1974. In 2001 Hanover district became Hanover Region.