Tuesday, December 27, 2011

USA - Alaska - State Flower


Forget-Me-Nots
Mountain Forget-me-nots are found throughout Alaska. Forget-me-nots are the Alaska state flower.

Sent by Sarah, a WiP partner from Alaska, USA.

"Alaska's state flower is the alpine forget-me-not. It was chosen in 1949. The alpine forget-me-not is a perennial that grows 5 to 12 inches high in alpine meadows. The flowers have five connected salviform petals, colored sky blue, that are a quarter to a third of an inch wide. They have a white inner ring and a yellow center. The best time to see the alpine forget-me-not is midsummer, from late June to late July. In addition to finding the Myosotis alpestris, botanists in Denali National Park might also come across the mountain forget-me-not (Eritrichium aretiodes) and the splendid forget-me-not (Eritrichium splendens)."(Source)

No comments: