Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Belarus - Victory Square
Victory Square. The monument - Obelisk to Warriors of the Soviet Army and Partisans deceased in the battles for liberation of Belarus from Nazi occupants. It was established on June 4, 1954.
Sent by Yuliya, a postcrosser from Belarus.
This is from Wikipedia : Victory Square (Belarusian: Пло́шча Перамо́гі, Russian: Пло́щадь Побе́ды) — square in the centre of the City of Minsk located at the crossing of Independence avenue and Zakharau street. The square is located in the historic center of Minsk nearby with the museum of the 1st Congress of RSDRP, Main offices of National State TV and Radio and City House of Marriages. A green park stretches from the Victory Square to the river of Svislach and to the entrance to the M. Gorky Park. Victory square is the key landmark of Minsk. Holiday parades go through the square. The newly married traditionally take their picutre at the square.
A 3-meter replica of the Order of Victory crowns a granit column of 38 meter erected in the center of the square. The Sacred Sword of Victory is at the base of the monument. The monument was built in 1954 in honour of the soldiers of the Soviet Army and partisans of Belarus. Sculptors: Z. Azgur, A. Bembel, S. Selikhanau. Architects: U. Karol, G. Zagorski.
The four fascets of pedestal hold bronze relief thematic images: "May 9 1945", "Soviet Army during the Great Patriotic War", "Belarusian Partisans", "Honour to Heroes who gave their lives for liberation".
The four bronze wreaths around the obelisk signify the four Fronts. The soldiers of these fronts gave their lives fighting to liberate Belarus from German Fascist invaders.