Republic Mountainous Karabakh
Artsakh, Monastery of Gandzasar XII-XIV
Thanks to Francis Corbett of USA who made an arrangeent with the traveller to Nagorno-Karabakh.
Gandzasar monastery (Armenian: Գանձասարի վանք) is a tenth to thirteenth century Armenian monastery situated in the Mardakert district of de facto Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (de jure: Kalbajar Rayon of Azerbaijan). "Gandzasar" means treasure mountain or hilltop treasure in Armenian. The monastery holds relics believed to belong to St. John the Baptist and his father St Zechariah.
Gandzasar was, from about 1400 until 1816, the residence of the catholicoi of the Catholicosate of Aghvank (Church of Caucasian Albania) under the jurisdiction of the Armenian Apostolic Church.
Gandzasar is now the seat of the Archbishop of Artsakh appointed by the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin of the Armenian Apostolic Church. (read further)